nps MMOWGLI Game Design
In an effort to include more of the campus in our process improvements recommended by the IG Report, the MOVES Institute has proposed to use crowd sourcing as a method to solicit input from both process owners and customers. MMOWGLI, the Massive Multiplayer Online Wargame Leveraging the Internet is an NPS research project sponsored by the Office of Naval Research (ONR). It lets large groups of people post ideas online via their Web browser in a practical, organized way. People play under an alias "game name" which provides privacy. You'll know that everyone playing is part of the NPS community, but you won't know just who each player might be. Before playing everyone must agree to the rules of engagement: no sensitive information, proper professionalism, respect for privacy, etc. This approach lets everyone speak their mind, listen, and be heard, without fear or hesitation. Thanks for considering the issues and making a contribution.
To learn more and begin playing: how NPS theses are performed and supported is the game theme for our first round.
Ongoing news is found on the ig game blog.
- We are preparing to run an online ig MMOWGLI game for NPS faculty, staff and students, focused on recommendations and go-forward actions from the 2012 Inspector General (IG) report.
- The MMOWGLI game platform is designed to foster group innovation. It allows people to consider issues of interest, anonymously build up chains of Idea Card comments in context, and collaboratively create Action Plan solutions.
- How can NPS best respond to these challenges and opportunities to better fulfill our mission? There are many possibilities to consider and pursue. Our first topic is ig Round 1 Theses.
- Here we go. MMOWGLI project slogan: play the game, change the game!
ig MMOWGLI Game
This work will likely be most effective if we begin with just a few selected topics of particular interest. Results and lessons learned from the first round of the game can then guide group examination of subsequent focus topics.
- The ig MMOWGLI game proposal memorandum describes how the game is being prepared and conducted within the NPS community.
- The ig MMOWGLI Game is reviewable within the NPS domain by logging in as user guest with password guest.
- Your comments are welcome.
Initial topics of interest: how NPS theses are performed and supported. See ig Round 1 Theses for game design.
- Recommendation 097-12 contains several thesis-related concepts: 1) Timelines and mandatory deadlines and 2) methods for pairing student and advisors.
- Recommendation 098-12 encompasses the quality control aspects of theses. Together, these three topics represent a coherent set of issues having campus-wide interest.
Risks and benefits are an essential concern. This game is conducted under an approved Institutional Research Board (IRB) Human Subjects Research protocol.
- Participants must agree to Terms and Conditions prior to play.
- Only one account per player. Game masters may have a second account for moderation purposes.
- Potential risks and benefits to participants are detailed in the Informed Consent to Participate in Research.
- An informational amendment has been submitted to the NPS IRB that further describes ig MMOWGLI participation by the NPS community.
- IRB-related documents are maintained on the MMOWGLI Game Master Portal under Human Research Protection.
Inspector General (IG) Report
- NAVINSGEN NPS Command Inspection 22 Oct 2012 released 27 NOV 2012 (local copy)
- FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT (FOIA) READING ROOM including related reports
- Navy press release: SECNAV Relieves Top Leaders of Naval Postgraduate School
- Naval Inspector General home page
- President's Portico by Rear Adm. Jan Tighe, Interim President, NPS (also Navy bio)
- December 2012, Update NPS magazine with NPS President's message on page 2
- 10 DEC 2012, strategic planning memo
- 17 DEC 2012, TIGIR Team overview and composition
- 26 DEC 2012, TIGR progress, AD hiring and extensions, Requirements Review Board (RRB), Community Involvement Focus Groups, professionalism and respect
- 7 JAN 2013, progress updates
- 14 JAN 2013, visit recaps and MMOWGLI game lookahead
- NPS Public Affairs Office
- 19 DEC 2012, Navy, Institution Leadership Establish NPS Community Focus Groups, by Kenneth A. Stewart (blurb)
- NPS Flag Admin
- NPS Command Evaluation Program
- NPS NAVY IG Hotline (NAVPGSCOL INSTRUCTION 5370.1A, 1 DEC 2011)
- NPS Suggestion Boxes
- SECNAVINST 1524.2B, POLICIES CONCERNING THE NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL, 27 OCT 2005
- SECNAVINST 5420.190A, BOARD OF ADVISORS TO THE SUPERINTENDENT, NPS, 9 MAY 2001 (replaced by SECNAVINST 5420.60J ?)
- OPNAV INSTRUCTION 5450.210D, NAVAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOOL MISSION AND FUNCTIONS, 30 MAR 2012
- OPNAVINST 1520.23B, Graduate Education, 1 OCT 1991
- OPNAV INSTRUCTION 1520.42, ADVANCED EDUCATION GOVERNANCE, 18 MAY 2009
- DoD Directive 5010.35, Defense Resources Management Institute (DRMI), 28 SEP 2007
- DoD Instruction 1402.06, Civilian Faculty Positions in Department of Defense (DoD) Post-Secondary Educational Institutions, 6 NOV 2007
- NPS Foundation is a non profit organization whose primary mission is to support the students, faculty and staff of the Naval Postgraduate School.
- Mission. The Naval Postgraduate School Foundation encourages the pursuit of educational excellence at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS). To do so, the NPS Foundation solicits, receives, and administers funds, securities, and gifts-in-kind in order to provide NPS with support for its academic programs and facilities. The NPS Foundation actively develops relationships, seeks resources, increases public awareness, and assists in developing a productive Alumni program.
- Vision. The Naval Postgraduate School Foundation creates programs and services that reinforce Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) initiatives to become the leader in defense related graduate research and preparation of the intellectual leaders of tomorrow's national and international security organizations.
- U.S. Naval Academy, USNA Alumni Association, and USNA Foundation
- The United States Naval Academy Alumni Association and the United States Naval Academy Foundation are two independent, not-for-profit corporations sharing a single president and CEO and operating as a fully integrated organization in support of the Naval Academy and its mission.
- The USNA Alumni Association is a non-profit, independent corporation with a full-time professional staff, with a mission to serve and support the United States, the Naval Service, the Naval Academy and its alumni.
- The U.S. Naval Academy Foundation helps to advance the Naval Academy and the Naval Academy Alumni Association by providing private resources to achieve and maintain a broad range of mission-enhancing activities that support the nation's premier leadership institution and its graduates.
- U.S. Naval War College and NWC Foundation
- The NWC Foundation enriches and further enhances Naval War College programs as defense dollars diminish and the need for officers educated in international security affairs increases.
Portal contact: Don Brutzman, firstname.lastname@example.org x2149